Congratulations! Your little one is on the way. Whether you’re in your first trimester or in full on nesting mode, one thing is certain… you’ve dreamt about the space in which you’ll be spending precious moments with your newborn. Now all you have to do is create this special space! First, you'll want to think about your baby nursery theme.
Baby Nursery Design
Designing in and of itself can be a challenge, and it can be especially intimidating when it’s the very first place your baby will call home. It’s also the place where you’ll spend sleepless nights, witness firsts, bond with your child, and possibly experience your lowest (and highest!) points. These factors and more create a lot of pressure to have both a functional and beautiful space. Joanna Gaines, co-founder of Magnolia, said it best:
"There’s often too much pressure to create spaces that look good when what we need more than ever are places that feel good. That feel like us. Like our families. Like our home.”
Baby Nursery Theme
To help you along, below are 3 easy steps you can take to find your perfect baby nursery theme:
1) Determine what Inspires You
- Determine what inspires you (and your partner), as well as the hopes and dreams you have for your baby. What are your hobbies? Is there a place that’s significant to your family? What do you hope to do with your baby as they grow? These questions and more can be asked to provide a great jumping off point in the design process.
2) Create a Mood Board
- Create a mood board. You can cut out photos to post on a physical bulletin board, or if you aren’t feeling crafty you can utilize a site like Pinterest. Search things like ‘baby nursery ideas,’ ‘baby boy nursery,’ ‘girl nursery,’ or 'baby nursery theme' and you will find endless inspiration. As you develop a collection of inspiring pictures, take a step back and see if there are any commonalities. Do you gravitate towards certain colors or styles?
3) Choose a meaningful theme
- Choose a meaningful theme. Through your research and pinning, define a theme you’d like to stick with that encompasses those colors and styles you loved on your mood board. Baby nursery themes don’t have to be overly theme-y either! No need to overload a room with cowboys or butterflies if that isn’t your taste – your theme can simply evoke a feeling, or call back to your other home decor. Remember that this space is as much yours as it is your baby’s.
We hope that these pointers help you get started on your baby boy or baby girl’s nursery. As you find your way, we can help provide pieces that are not only unique, but also serve your nursery’s purpose. Happy nesting!